NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:52:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 09:01 -0500, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
wrote:
> On 15/11/12 08:39, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >> You need to specify these in /etc/sysconfig-network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> >> (or your interface):
> >>
> >> DNS1="xx.xx.xx.xx"
> >> DNS2="xx.xx.xx.xx"
> >> SEARCH="yourdomain.com"
> >>
> >> Then you'll see them in /etc/resolv.conf once you restart the network
> >> service. (make sure you have  BOOTPROTO=NONE)
> > Aren't these options all settable from NetworkManager? Select Network
> > Settings, then the interface, then Options, then IPv4 Settings, then the
> > appropriate Method, then fill in other settings as needed.  You can set
> > or add DNS servers and search domains there.
>
>     "settable from NetworkManager?" They may well be, but if so it is
>     not obvious to me how to insert them into the GUI menu options,
>     least of all where to put the line:  options timeout:1 attempts:1  I
>     had already tried the NM GUI menu that results from clicking on the
>     icon but never found a setting that worked for me. In the past I
>     always set it up for Opendns and forgot it, however Viasat does not
>     permit me to use Opendns, it seems I am forced to use their server
>     no matter what I enter for the nameserver. So my interest in doing
>     some nameserving locally.

Ah, the options line.  Might be worth filing an RFE on Bugzilla or
joining the NetworkManager list and proposing adding the capability to
include lines other than nameserver and search.  That does seem like it
would be useful.

>     I find it a lot less confusing to set-up resolv.conf with a text editor!

If that's your preference, then you should certainly avoid
NetworkManager and NetworkManager should certainly be able to play nice
with you (at least IMHO).  The network service and including
NM_CONTROLLED="no" in the appropriate ifcfg-xxx file ought to work the
way you want. If it doesn't, then it would be most useful for you to
file bugs.  If you have NM_CONTROLLED="no" and you still have the
problem, it's possible that the network service is causing your problem,
not NetworkManager.

One thing is, I don't think system-config-network knows how to handle
all the wireless security modes.  It also doesn't have space for options
for resolv.conf.

Also, there may be other commands that can be added to the ifcfg-xxx
file.  Not sure where that's documented, but I see lots of options in
the various WiFi-network-specific ifcfg-xxx files

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences