DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 17 00:40:30 UTC 2012

Am 17.11.2012 00:10, schrieb lee:

>> You never get guest computers, or get asked to take in someone else's
>> computer and fix it, or install Linux on it for them?  You never add new
>> devices?  Some of which really expect DHCP (network printers, gaming
>> consoles, media devices).  Or had to change some hardware, only to find
>> that the bastard device wants to be on a 192.168.1.x network rather than
>> a 192.168.0.x network that you're using, and you have to manually change
>> everything around, individually, to work past this.
>>
>> DHCP is a falsedeity-send, not a curse.
>
> No, I don't have these problems and no need for DHCP, so why waste
> resources on it.

so disable NM and dhcpd and write your config in "ifcfg-eth0"
and after enable network.service your are done - what exactly
is the problem to do it the way it was done the last 20 years
and is currently done in every network maintained by admins?

without NM you can write nto any network-config file inclduing
/etc/resilv.conf what you want - NM is for mobile devcies and
user who doe snot have any clue about networks, fro both user
groups is fine, for the otehrs it is unuseable and that is
why network.service with the classical config exists

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
###########################
#           LAN           #
###########################

DEVICE=eth0