NetworkManager-resolv.conf -

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Nov 17 12:47:38 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> Also, in my experience NM does NOT get the DNS settings from the server.
>>
>> I run NM on my Fedora-17/KDE laptop.
>> Normally this works fine - it has certainly improved greatly over the
>> years. But if I go out of WiFi range then NM comments out the DNS entries
>> in /etc/resolv.conf .
>> However, if I go back in range, it does not add the DNS entries
>> from /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf on the server, where I have
>>
>>   # option definitions common to all supported networks...
>>   option domain-name "gayleard.com";
>>   option domain-name-servers 159.134.237.6, 159.134.248.17;

> I don't know what you mean by "from the server".  But, if in the case you
> cite above you mean your laptop is the server and it has info in
> /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf then I wouldn't expect its information added to your
> DNS settings either.

I think what I said is perfectly clear.
My laptop is not the server.
I don't see how anyone could interpret what I said to mean that.
Surely if someone speaks of a laptop and a server
the implication is that they are different machines?

To spell it out.
My server is an HP MicroServer running CentOS-6.3 .
My laptop is a ThinkPad T61p running Fedora-17/KDE .
I have shown above the entry I have in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf on the server .

As I said, if I lose WiFi connection then /etc/resolv.conf on my laptop
is over-written (commented out).
When I come back into WiFi range, /etc/resolv.conf is not re-written.
Nor is it re-written if I re-start NM on my laptop.
However, if I re-boot my laptop then it is re-written.

Have you actually gone out of range while linked to an access point?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net