Bridge LAN and WiFi interfaces

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Nov 19 09:04:26 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 05:34 PM, Frank Pikelner wrote:
> Is there a way to bridge both the LAN and Wifi interfaces so that the
> communication is done using the bridge and serviced by either interface
> that is currently active?
>
> I'm using the default Network Manager and mostly use the laptops for
> working and testing KVM with virtual hosts.

Fedora 18 will be the first release that works well with NetworkManager
and bridged networking.  However, I'd caution you that if you add both
eth0 and wlan0 to a single bridged interface and connected your Ethernet
cable, it's likely that your wifi would also be active some of the time.
  In that case, you will have created a network loop which will cause
broadcast storms and probably an outage of the entire broadcast domain
that you're connected to.

I'd strongly advise against such a configuration.