Hack attacks

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 19 16:38:00 UTC 2012

On 2012/11/19 01:02, Brian West wrote:
> On 11/19/2012 12:28 AM, NOSpaze wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-11-19 at 10:16 +1100, Roger wrote:
>>> Is there any way to trace ip addresses back past the originating ISP.
>>> I've been using whois but it seems limited.
>> Could mtr be of any help?
>
> ISP and a rough location is all your going to get my friend some of the IP
> lookup sites like whatismyip.com will give you country state and city info but
> nothing beyond that. if your under attacjk consider installing a firewall with a
> brute force ban script.

Google makes attempts to refine locations based on the IP address. It may
have a pretty good base of such information. But with my home machine they
estimate me within about 30 to 60 miles of where I am much of the time.
I have never seen fit to repair their notions of where I live. (They even
have the street address off by enough drivers get confused and don't find
the place. I am not going to correct THAT either.)

{^_-}