Firefox certificates for Fedora sites?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon Nov 19 16:42:19 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald wrote the following on 11/19/2012 10:08 AM:

> Am 19.11.2012 17:03, schrieb Sergio:
>> Is it the case that these site owners should contact Mozilla for
>> them to update the certificate bundle or, in the case of official
>> Fedora sites, should an extra package with Fedora certificates be
>> created?
> they won't
>
> these are self signed certs because they do the same: encryption
> if you want you certs accepted from browsers you need to sign
> them by a CA like Thawte what is expensive
>
> that is how https works

That is not how HTTPS works. HTTPS does not require an expensive
commercial CA like Thawte. First, if Fedora/Redhat wanted, they could
include their own CA certificate with their own distribution with no
additional cost (other than the time creating a CA certificate and
including it on their distribution). Second, there are free or low cost
CAs like StartSSL. I believe StartSSL benefits from Redhat, so they may
be willing to give back to the community at no cost for some of the
items they typically charge for.