Hack attacks

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 10:15:55 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 04:30 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Monday 19 November 2012 06:18:03 Roger wrote:
>> You are SOooo right, denial of responsibility is what happens!
>> I am aware of instances recently where windows machines are obviously
>> hacked and email addresses appropriated. It's no use telling the people
>> they deny it.
> Not always the case, but if they're not even told about it they can't fix it.
>
> (Not too ) many years ago on of my boxes was cracked and used like this. Once
> I knew I took it down and rebuilt the server from scratch.
>
> Rule #1 - if your box is cracked - wipe it

And just how would someone "know" if they've been cracked?....are there
alerts?...or is it really a matter of waiting for someone to contact you
telling you that they've gotten your IP address when doing a backtrace
from their network? (And I'm only asking because I've had a machine
that's been "up and running" for almost a year, but I wouldn't have a
CLUE as to know whether or not it's been compromised or not!...)

EGO II