Kate over a remote connection

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 13:54:47 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 20 November 2012 13:28:42 Mark Haney wrote:
> Up until the latest version of Kate (3.8.5 with Qt v4.8.1 & KDE v4.8.5)
> I've been able to use it over a remote LAN connection without any
> trouble.  (I know I can use vi, but unless someone can show me how to
> highlight perl and javascript code in vi, this is what I use)

For some reason they don't include the X version of vi by default so I always
have to do:

yum install vim-X11

Then just call gvim instead of vi/vim - gvim being what is called if you
KDE/GNOME menus.

Having done that it has always automatically had syntax highlighting turned on
for Perl, PHP. Javascript, Bash,.....

I spend most of my time working over SSH connections to various servers and
editing using gvim to be the quickest to use - not to mention most powerful.

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager