Te curious case of DST

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Nov 20 19:17:35 UTC 2012

On 11/20/2012 10:37 AM, Geoffrey Leach issued this missive:
> On 11/19/2012 09:02:17 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:28:39 -0800 Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Suddenly my two (count 'em) computers networked together and
>> connected
>>> to the internet have been booting up in DST - i.e. one hour later
>> than
>>> the actual time. A pointer to where this setting is stored or can
>> be
>>
>>> accessed would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> They are set up to get time via NTP, FWIW.
>>>
>>> Of course, it mightn't be DST, but I can think of no better
>>> explanation.
>>
>> Not sure what DST does (if DST is Daylight Savings Time, how can it
>> boot up one hour later), but have you tried:
>>
>> sudo system-config-date
>
> Yeah, but no joy.
>
> Turns out that the hw clock on both systems was one hour less than the
> actual time. How this could have happened is a puzzle, but the hwclock
> program allowed me to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks to all who replied.

Do the machines dual boot Winblows? Winblows keeps the hardware clock
in local time (rather than UTC like Linux). This can cause problems
with timezones and DST.
- The difference between nerds and geeks?  Nerds are socially inept  -
-    and are painfully aware of that.  Geeks couldn't care less.     -