What is minimal Fedora install?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Nov 21 15:05:43 UTC 2012

Am 21.11.2012 15:51, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> On 11/21/2012 09:40 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 21.11.2012 15:27, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>>> Or what ever it was called in the install.
>>>
>>> The reason I am asking is I need to reinstall on my Asus ee701 which only has 4Gb SSD, and I provide extra space on
>>> an SD card.  It was the SD card that failed me this last time with sector errors, so if I could fit F17 into say
>>> 3Gb (2.5 real?) that would be great.
>> 2.5 - 3.0 GB is absoluetly no problem
>> any of our servers are far below 3 GB used rootfs
>> my workstations with KDE, Eclipse and VMware 6.5 GB
>
> Servers below 3Gb, but workstations?

sure

servers: minimalistic reduced install-set depeding on the servers role

typically you have bind on a nameserver but not on a webserver
typically you have mysqld on a webserver but not on a proxy
____________________________________

workstation:

* Eclipse: 386 MB
* VMware:  742 GB
* kernel/glibc-headers-devel for VMware
* gcc and all it's dependencies for VMware
* thunderbird: 69 MB
* firefox: 29 MB
* xulrunner: 33 MB
* libreoffice: 290 MB

well, and here we have 1.5 GB without KDE
this does not contain
this is already the complete install size of a small server

additionally ANY server package used on any server for testing