Te curious case of DST

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 21 16:33:21 UTC 2012

Matthew Saltzman <mjs <at> clemson.edu> writes:

> I recall that there is a little utility available for Windows that makes
> it work with a hardware clock set for UTC, but I've also heard that some
> things don't work quite correctly with it.

You don't need a utility, just a registry hack (google for
"RealTimeIsUniversal"). It has a few issues, mainly that in XP time is wrong
after suspend/hibernate. It's better in more recent Windows but still not
perfect (system may become unresponsive if you're using Windows during the DST
switchover). On the other hand, setting the hardware clock to UTC is technically
the right thing to do, so if you only use Windows lightly, it's probably best to
force it to do the right thing (so Linux can do the same) and accept that it
will probably take Microsoft another 10 years to make it work properly. The link
below details the problems associated with running the hardware clock on local
time.

IBM PC Real Time Clock should run in UT
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html