Removing write protect from a seagate hard drive

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Wed Nov 21 20:20:14 UTC 2012

Quoting JD <jd1008 at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:29:44 -0700
>> JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a system util to use to issue
>> > a command to a hard drive to remove
>> > write protect?
>> > I had thought hdparm might do it, but
>> > the man page makes no mention of such
>> > feature in hdparm.
>>
>> SATA or some kind of USB thing ?
>>
>> If its SATA I'm not aware of a standard way to do it or of drives having
>> the feature for that matter. Check for a jumper and also if its suddenely
>> gone read-only perhaps its doing that because its failed ?
>>
>> What makes you think it's gone read only ?
>>
>> Alan
>

> It is an eSATA 2 drive in external enclosure with eSATA2 host interface.
> I now believe that the device state is being maintained in the kernel
> (Driver???)
> because of failure of disk to respond to host query to identify itself
> or to  host
> query to report it's DMA status??
> Please have a look at the error messages I had posted at
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/761te2
>
> Guess I should download full kernel source and peruse the drivers code to see
> if and where the read-only state is being set as a consequence of no response
> to host's queries.

seems like a lot of work. why not boot from a live CD and see if you
can mount it read/write?

Dave

> --

If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more
vitamins, roughage, milk, olive oil, scooters and laxatives, learning more
languages by iPod, hearing more virtuosos by radio, re-decorating their
houses, refreshing themselves with more non-alcoholic thirst-quenchers,
cooking more new, appetizing dishes, affording themselves that little extra
touch which means so much? Or would the whole desperate whirligig slow
down, and the exhausted public relapse upon plain grub and elbow-grease?

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise