What is minimal Fedora install?

Sergio sergiocmailbox-userlist at yahoo.com.br
Wed Nov 21 21:24:22 UTC 2012

--- Em qua, 21/11/12, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> escreveu:

> De: Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
> Assunto: Re: What is minimal Fedora install?
> Para: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Cc: "Matthew Miller" <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> Data: Quarta-feira, 21 de Novembro de 2012, 18:05
> On 11/21/2012 02:08 PM, Matthew
> Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 09:51:33AM -0500, Robert
> Moskowitz wrote:
> >> Servers below 3Gb, but workstations?  KDE is
> smaller than Gnome (but
> >> then I would be using different desktops).
> > Yeah. Going from my mostly-minimal cloud install to
> Gnome Desktop took me
> > from 707MB to 3.2GB on disk. (And had to be done in two
> transactions because
> > there wasn't enough room in my 4GB disk for yum to both
> download and install
> > the package set.)
> >
> > However, XFCE from the same minimal base goes to only
> 2.2GB, leaving a
> > little breathing room. Alternately, LXDE is only 1.9G
> total.
> >
> > You could also eschew a modern desktop environment and
> go more minimal, just
> > installing a window manager plus applications you
> need.
>
> In truth, the purpose of the ee701 is to view mp4
> lectures.  I use VLC to view these.  I tried to
> use mplayer, but it needed the mp4 codec and the install
> failed.  So I would either have to add VLC to the mix,
> or figure out why the mplayer codec install failed.
>
> So anyway, what window manager to you recommend?

If you're not used to running a stand-alone window manager, maybe openbox is good as it has the regular support for ~/.config/autostart, easy to edit config files, I think it's being actively maintained (not sure) and should work well.

IceWM, I mention because of this good guide that I wrote: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=282433

It's very easy to use but it isn't actively maintained (although it's not dead either).