What are these for?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Nov 22 19:22:23 UTC 2012

Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 03:02:54PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > And what if the user in the wheel group wants to use emacs to edit some
>> > configuration file that can only be modified by root?
>> They can use su if they want to use emacs for it.
>
> Or better, set VISUAL=emacs and run `sudo -e`, which was designed for this
> purpose. (And which, by the way, will work out of the box on Fedora for
> members of the wheel group.)

In which way is that better?

That will probably create an emacs frame rather than running it in the
terminal in tmux where I want it, and it won't allow me to use job
control to put it into the background while I need the terminal to do
other things.  Thanks to tmux, I don't need to re-log when I have to
leave the X-session.  MOTT, roots emacs is suspended.

--
Fedora 17