why does this rsync commands copy again the same files?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Nov 22 20:56:17 UTC 2012

Am 22.11.2012 21:41, schrieb M. Fioretti:
> Greetings,
>
> I am running Fedora 16 x86_64. When I connect an external USB drive
> and rsync to it my pictures with this command:
>
> rsync -rvt --delete --no-o --no-g /home/z/photo/ /media/Verbatim/photo

this command has a error
the last aparm is missing a trailing slash

> FIY, the source folder is ext4, the destination vfat (see their mount
> entries below)

maybe because the target is vfat

have you compared the timestamps on tke target?
maybe try --update

maybe there are also chars which are not represented properly
on vfat in your filenames

if the filenames are 100% identical rsync will not copy the whole
data in any case, but with USB read-peroformance for verify is
ugly - so look at rsync --help and ignore as many things as
possible with crappy destination filesystems