why does this rsync commands copy again the same files?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Nov 22 22:27:44 UTC 2012

Am 22.11.2012 23:21, schrieb M. Fioretti:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 23:07:33 PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> as said: please compare the timestamp on the target most likely the
>> timestamp on vfat contains daylight-savings which is not the case on
>> unix-filesystems
>
> Indeed! Thanks. Here are the outputs of fstat on two copies of the
> same file, just rsync-ed from the ext4 folder to the vfat ext drive:
>
> [marco at avalon LACIE]$ stat  --format "%y" /home/z/photo/2011/20110719/P1110546.JPG
> 2011-07-19 07:28:36.000000000 +0200
> [marco at avalon LACIE]$ stat  --format "%y" /media/LACIE/photo/2011/20110719/P1110546.JPG
> 2011-07-19 06:28:36.000000000 +0200
>
> OK, thanks you got it exactly right!!! But, now what? Is there any way
> to keep the drive vfat AND end this problem, without losing file
> modification time? I'd really like to keep the vfat simply because some of
> those drives are not mine

google says:

http://lwn.net/Articles/287428/
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt

tz=UTC        -- Interpret timestamps as UTC rather than local time.
                 This option disables the conversion of timestamps
                 between local time (as used by Windows on FAT) and UTC
                 (which Linux uses internally).  This is particularly
                 useful when mounting devices (like digital cameras)
                 that are set to UTC in order to avoid the pitfalls of
                 local time.

so i guess mount the crappy vfat with the mount-param
tz=UTC should do the job