mounting one usb interface (from 2 identified)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Nov 23 04:27:10 UTC 2012

Thanks again, John! This does not work for me.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:23:27 -0800 John Wendel <jwendel10 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 11/22/2012 06:41 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > sudo mount  /dev/sdb /mnt/myusb
>
> The "blkid" command will give you more info about the device
>
> sudo blkid -p /dev/sdb
>
> will show you the partition type ( like PTTYPE="dos" ), if there is one.
>
> sudo blkid -p /dev/sdb1
>
> will show you the filesystem type of partition 1
>
> /dev/sdd1: LABEL="WD1000" UUID="694b6f8b-42e6-49e8-be51-5806e5e315e9"
> SEC_TYPE="ext2" VERSION="1.0" TYPE="ext3" USAGE="filesystem"
> PART_ENTRY_SCHEME="dos" PART_ENTRY_TYPE="0x83" PART_ENTRY_NUMBER="1"

sudo blkid -p /dev/sdb
error: /dev/sdb: No medium found

sudo blkid -p /dev/sdc
error: /dev/sdc: No medium found

Btw, for context, here is the background to this device: it is a tablet
(ARNOVA 10). From my e-mail of earlier this afternoon....

"I am using F17 (LXDE) but this is not really the issue here.

So, I had this old Arnova 10 tablet which I wanted to unroot, and
install Android 2.2 (from 2.1) so I flashed the apprpriate image using
the USB connection and all appeared well.

However, during the touchscreen calibration stage, the calibration did
not get done correctly (or much at all from what I can tell). Looking
around, this seems to be happen and the way to get around it is to go
in and remove the necessary files. The trouble however is that I can no
longer mount the USB so I can not enter the device. When I mount the
USB onto my F17, I get the following:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bb4:0c02 High Tech Computer Corp. Dream /
ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo (Debug)

however, this does not get mounted. Actually, the screen of the tablet
says "USB connected" but unfortunately also "USB debugging connected".
(And the latter is the problem: the issue appears to be that the latter
has to be disabled, which can only be done using the touchscreen, which
is not recognized.) Btw, I can not attach a mouse or a keyboard to the
tablet either because the USB mode has to be activated (done using a
touchscreen again). Also, there is some paperclip press on some reset
hole that should reset the device to factory settings, but absolutely
nothing happens (my fingers become sore from pushing the clip
interminably).

Question: is there a way to "force" linux (F17) to mount the USB as a
storage device? I understand the naivette of this question, but is
something else possible?"

Many thanks again and best wishes!

Ranjan

> try
>
> sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/myusb
>
> The -t argument takes a filesystem type - "vfat" is very commonly used
> on usb devices, so try
>
> sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/myusb
>
> But mount should figure this out automagically.
>
> Regards,
>
> John
>

> --
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional
e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.