UEFI is a POS

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Nov 23 07:45:17 UTC 2012

-Saw an update for my motherboard[1]. Cool!
-Downloaded the update and applied it.
-System wouldn't boot. Cannot find a boot drive. Hard drive
  is detected... but won't boot?
-Downgrade to old UEFI, play with settings. Still won't boot.
-Google.
-Find http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/installation.html
  Section "Announcing the Boot Loader to the EFI"
-Boot into rescue mode on my F17 USB installer.
-Type: efibootmgr -c
-Reboot. System boots now.

So, beware: BIOS updates are no longer an easy operation. There is a
default location for the EFI loader that Fedora is not using (but is for
USB/CD). Why is Fedora not using the default location? To play nice with
other OSes?

[1] http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77I_DELUXE/