Need help with building rpms

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:16:46 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to build my own rpm for mutt.  I am using the spec file from
the Fedora srpm.  During the build it fails on the following command.

if test -f $BUILDROOT/usr/bin/mutt_dotlock && test xmail != x ; then \
     chgrp mail $BUILDROOT/usr/bin/mutt_dotlock && \
       chmod 2755 $BUILDROOT/usr/bin/mutt_dotlock || \
       { echo "Can't fix mutt_dotlock's permissions!" >&2 ; exit 1 ; } \
fi

This is the error message I get.

chgrp: changing group of `$BUILDROOT/usr/bin/mutt_dotlock': Operation not permitted
Can't fix mutt_dotlock's permissions!
make[4]: *** [install-exec-hook] Error 1

I then realised only root can call chgrp, so I tried to build with mock.
But I still get the same failure.  I have successfully used mock to
build notmuch and git before.  What am I doing wrong this time?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

--
Suvayu