netbook vs tablet

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Nov 23 20:19:06 UTC 2012

On 11/23/2012 02:56 PM, JD wrote:
>>> With a keyboard permanently attached ...

>>> One of the problems with trying to drop Linux onto most tablets is the
>>> complete lack of a real disk subsystem, just slow SD card interfaces.
>>> That really hurts although it can still be usable.
>>
>> Bad performance could be the result of 'less than optimal' SD cards.
>> Even slow-rated cards (Class 4) sometimes outperform fast (Class 10) cards
>> depending on what you do with them.  Checkout the following analysis:
>>
>> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12330898
> I agree as far as SD card performance grade.
> When you switch to the Extreme level of performance (45MB/s read/write),
> you will see almost hard drive level of performance. Of course, you must
> be aware of what happens to SD card when written to very often.
> So I would suggest that you mount you /tmp and /var/tmp and your home dir
> on some other drive.
I mounted all of /var on the SDD to include logs. But is there a way to
mount /tmp and /var to the same partition?  That is a major issue:  how
to figure out how large to make separate partitiions when there is so
little space to work with!

As for /home, there is very little writing to /home.  It is better to
manage all frequent data on a USB drive.