Getting rid of nepomukserver

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Nov 24 01:07:41 UTC 2012

Ed wrote
>On 11/22/2012 12:29 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> >
>> >I have turned off 'Desktop Search' in Settings. I have deleted all executables in /usr/bin with 'nepomuk' in the name (and virtuoso). I have nuked the nepomuk folders hiding down in ~/.kde.
>> >But after I rebooted I*still*  ended up with a 'nepomukserver' running.
>> >ps -aux says it is started by kde4init. Setting 'autostart' to false in/usr/share/./autostart/nepomukserver.desktop
>> >stops that from happening, but*where*  is the executable instance which kdeinit is starting? I wish to nuke it too.
>> >
> FWIW, I have unchecked "Nepomuk Sematic Desktop" in the Desktop Search section of the KDE "System Settings" and upon clicking apply the server is no longer running.

> Only /usr/bin/nepomukcontroller remains.

I am quite sure that that's the first thing I did. Noted as the first
item. I then nuked every executable I could find. So if I failed to
'Apply' the setting, where is the executable which kdeinit *then* started.
.
> System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Service Manager. Uncheck
> Nepomuk Search Module.
>
> Login and Logout if required. No need to "nuke" anything. Well, maybe
> virtuoso.

> Gabriel

Thanks. What a stupidly obtuse system for wasting cycles. I didn't even
know that there was another complete level of 'service' management. Now
it is turned off, it still does not answer the question:

Where is the damn executable which the service starts.

This sort of layered obscurity pisses me off. And the user cannot nuke
the libs, since they are "dependencies" of all sorts of other actually
useful bits of the install.
Geoff