Disk

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 24 16:03:27 UTC 2012

Am 24.11.2012 16:36, schrieb JD:
> So, I have been looking for ways to prevent the drives from going to sleep.
> Only thing I have found was the option -s in the manpage for hdparm, but it
> has the "VERY DANGEROUS" phrase tacked to it, but without explanation as to
> the consequences of the danger

on my permanent running machines since years:
/etc/rc.d/rc.local:
/sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
/sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdb
/sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdc
/sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdd
/sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/sda
/sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/sdb
/sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/sdc
/sbin/hdparm -S 0 /dev/sdd

nothing more bad for disks as spinup/spindown
on modern operating systems it is unlikely that
they are not waking up very often

generally: if i get any messages like you a throw the disk away
and insert a new one, these days the price of a disk compared with
importance of relieable data is a clear decision