SCP problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Nov 24 20:19:41 UTC 2012

    Is there something wrong with this command?

        [root at box9 simple]# scp -r  bobg at box8:/home/bobg/
        /run/media/bobg/Simple/Box8BkU

    I would like to copy the contents [roughly 44G per du -h] of
    /home/bobg/ on box8 to an external USB 500G hard drive. The problem
    is that it appears to be trying to keep recopying the files until
    the 500 gigs is reached. I let it run until the end yesterday and it
    quit protesting it had run out of space.

    I thought I had made an error entering the command and started again
    from scratch [after rm -fr] but it looks like it was doing the same
    thing now and I stopped it. Watching the screen I can see it is
    recopying the same files, du -h shows 228G on the external drive and
    it was still going when I stopped it. The source drive shows 44G ...

    What am I doing wrong?

    Bob

    --
    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD