SCP problem -

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 24 21:06:07 UTC 2012

Am 24.11.2012 22:01, schrieb Bob Goodwin - Zuni:
> On 24/11/12 15:42, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 09:29:08PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> if would use rsync instead of scp for many reasons
>>> rsync -ztPrlHpogEAX  bobg at box8:/home/bobg/ /run/media/bobg/Simple/Box8BkU/
>>
>> +1 to using rsync. Although, instead of that alphabet soup, I would just use
>> "rsync -avP" adding H and X if necesary for hardlinks and xattrs only if
>> there's anything special in your source. The "a" stands for "archive" and
>> includes most everything else. "v" is for verbose. And "P" does two things:
>> prints status updates, and transfers files in a way that can be continued
>> automatically if you stop and restart.
>>

>    Ok, I cleared all the files from the previous effort and restarted
>    it with rsync which seems to be running happily. I will report the
>    results.

one of the big benefits of rsync is that you do not need to
delete anything on the destination - the opposite: if you stop
for whatever reason you can restart rsync as often needed and
finally oyu have a 1:1 copy of the source

the --delete-after param should be suggested to

this is to get rid of files no longer on the source
i prefrer the "after" because on large lists it is
easier to see at the end waht has been removed

in the meantime i use rsync even on local filesystems
and single files because i prefer use one tool everywhere
for the same operation and love the copy of attributes

--delete-during maybe the better option if the target
has limited space