Disk

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 00:39:47 UTC 2012

On 11/24/2012 09:36 AM, JD wrote:
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> Yet, running smartctl -x shows a few pre-failure
> values. To wit:
>
> 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate POSR-- 117 099 006 - 131606848
>

> 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct PO--CK 100 100 036 - 3
> 7 Seek_Error_Rate POSR-- 083 060 030 - 209089036
>
> 10 Spin_Retry_Count PO--C- 100 100 097 - 0

No, nothing there is indicating a risk of imminent failure.  That
"Pre-fail" label is just telling you what it would mean if there were
something other than "-" in the "WHEN_FAILED" column.  The only thing
there that is at all indicative of something bad happening is the three
reallocated sectors, and that's only a problem if that number continues
to grow. (Vibration or electrical disturbances can cause a sector or two
to get marked as bad, and that doesn't mean that the drive is in danger
of catastrophic failure.)  An attribute of interest that you didn't
report is #197, "Current Pending Sector".  That would indicate sectors
that are currently unreadable and will be reallocated the next time they
are written.  Any such sectors would cause an I/O error if the OS should
attempt to read them.

                 Do NOT delete it.