SCP problem -

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 25 01:15:58 UTC 2012

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA writes:

>    Is there something wrong with this command?
>
>        [root at box9 simple]# scp -r  bobg at box8:/home/bobg/
>        /run/media/bobg/Simple/Box8BkU
>
>    I would like to copy the contents [roughly 44G per du -h] of
>    /home/bobg/ on box8 to an external USB 500G hard drive. The problem
>    is that it appears to be trying to keep recopying the files until
>    the 500 gigs is reached. I let it run until the end yesterday and it
>    quit protesting it had run out of space.

You will find your answer in the scp man page:

     -r      Recursively copy entire directories.  Note that scp follows sym‐
             bolic links encountered in the tree traversal.

Somewhere in your home directory you have a symlink pointing to a parent
directory. This will result in scp -r going into an infinite loop, as it
keeps finding and recurse into the same symlink.

Eventually, if the target is big enough, scp -r will probably fail, when the
constructed pathname finally exceeds PATH_MAX :-)