netbook vs tablet

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Nov 25 22:51:43 UTC 2012

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 11/23/2012 02:56 PM, JD wrote:

>>> Bad performance could be the result of 'less than optimal' SD cards.
>>> Even slow-rated cards (Class 4) sometimes outperform fast (Class 10) cards
>>> depending on what you do with them.  Checkout the following analysis:
>>>
>>> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12330898
>> I agree as far as SD card performance grade.
>> When you switch to the Extreme level of performance (45MB/s read/write),
>> you will see almost hard drive level of performance. Of course, you must
>> be aware of what happens to SD card when written to very often.
>> So I would suggest that you mount you /tmp and /var/tmp and your home dir
>> on some other drive.
> I mounted all of /var on the SDD to include logs. But is there a way to mount
> /tmp and /var to the same partition?  That is a major issue:  how to figure out
> how large to make separate partitiions when there is so little space to work with!

Two ways to do it, start with one partition and two subdirectories. You can make
them appear as /tmp and /var with symbolic links, but the use of bind mounts is
probably less likely to cause problems. I would have to research using bind
mounts in fstab, someone very familiar with bot sequences may tell me you can't.
Since the boot methods seem to change every other release, I can't say. And I do
this but not for anything vital like /tmp, so I can put my bind mounts in
rc.local along with some error checking and correcting code.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>