Need help with minimal install on ee701

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Nov 26 04:40:20 UTC 2012

I did the minimal install on my ee701.  At least the first attempt.

I set my swap at 768Mb, and left /boot at 500Mb (probably could shrink
this next time).  This left 2.7Gb for /

That swap will be too small for hibernate....

So a minimal install with also selecting Gnome (and deselecting a few
things like snapwell or whatever it is called) resulting in only 737Mb
used in /!  Now I have a local repo, so I was able to select my local
update repo to eliminate the update step.

So when the computer boots, I come up in multiuser, not graphical and it
did not prompt me to create a non-root user and all those other first
time boot options of a regular install.  Sooo...

How do I start gnome so I can use its tools for things like creating my
userID?
Whatelse do I need to set from the 1st time boot?
How do I change the runtime to grahical with no /etc/inittab?  I looked
at what inittab has in it now and tried the ln command:

ln -s /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target
/etc/systemd/system/default.target

But of course this fails as there already is the symbolic link to
multi-user.

It was quite a pain getting to this point as the ee701 has a narrow
screen and you cannont move the screens in install to see what is off
the bottom of the screen.  You just have to guess....