Need help with minimal install on ee701

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 05:00:30 UTC 2012

> On 11/25/2012 11:46 PM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> On 11/26/2012 04:40 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I did the minimal install on my ee701.  At least the first attempt.
>>>
>>> I set my swap at 768Mb, and left /boot at 500Mb (probably could shrink
>>> this next time).  This left 2.7Gb for /
>>>
>>> That swap will be too small for hibernate....
>>>
>>> So a minimal install with also selecting Gnome (and deselecting a few
>>> things like snapwell or whatever it is called) resulting in only 737Mb
>>> used in /!  Now I have a local repo, so I was able to select my local
>>> update repo to eliminate the update step.
>>>
>>> So when the computer boots, I come up in multiuser, not graphical and it
>>> did not prompt me to create a non-root user and all those other first
>>> time boot options of a regular install.  Sooo...
>>>
>>> How do I start gnome so I can use its tools for things like creating my
>>> userID?
>>> Whatelse do I need to set from the 1st time boot?
>>> How do I change the runtime to grahical with no /etc/inittab?  I looked
>>> at what inittab has in it now and tried the ln command:
>>>
>>> ln -s /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target
>>> /etc/systemd/system/default.target
>>>
>>> But of course this fails as there already is the symbolic link to
>>> multi-user.
>>>
>>> It was quite a pain getting to this point as the ee701 has a narrow
>>> screen and you cannont move the screens in install to see what is off
>>> the bottom of the screen.  You just have to guess....
>> Not that it's much use now but for future reference, there is an option
>> to earmark first boot for install at the Optional Installs stage.
>
> But you have to see that, and it is at the bottom of the screen, so I
> would have have notes on what <alt> key to activate it.  It would be
> nice to find some screenshots of all the f17 install pages....
>
> Oh, and what do I install to get semanage?

I'm afraid I can't help you with that one. It's a pretty difficult one
to Google for I should imagine too.

I'll be setting a few Fedora 17 VMs up later in the week & can look then
for you if you like but other than that, I can't offer more.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow