kswapd0 consuming 50% of cpu

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Nov 26 19:01:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:19:05 -0700,
   JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

>This is why I decided to download source of kernel 3.7.0-rc6.git from
>fc19 and build it on my fc16, in the hopes of a better kernel. But
>no.... it has the kswap bug eating 50% of cpu.

So was this happening with both 3.7 and 3.6 kernels? The wording above
suggests that it didn't happen until you tried a 3.7 kernel, but originally
you said it happened with a 3.6.6 kernel. If the problem happens in 3.6
and is related to what is going on in 3.7 that info might be relevant to
solving the problem.

>It is obvious that hardly any extensive testing goes into fedora
>before release, in the attitude that the lab rats (us) will do that.
>Has this been the culture of the fedora developers form the beginning?

For the kernel there is a lot of different hardware out in the wild, so
kernel developers may not see an issue affecting only some hardware. That's
why testing of development kernels is encouraged. Lots of people do this
this testing and since Fedora is pretty close to upstream, Fedora benefits
from this testing. Some of us Fedora users also test the development kernels
and provide feedback (as in the kswapd case, module signing issues and
other issues) before the kernels get into stable updates or a release.