Locate/find -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Nov 26 21:05:57 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 10:03 PM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>    updatedb and locate with it mounted do not find anything? Often
>    times it would be convenient to do but locate seems only to want to
>    work on the internal drives [for me].

Using the find command was a good answer.

But, just as FYI, the reason updatedb followed by locate did produce any results can be found in /etc/updatedb.conf .

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ cat /etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS = "yes"
PRUNEFS = "9p afs anon_inodefs auto autofs bdev binfmt_misc cgroup cifs coda configfs cpuset debugfs devpts ecryptfs exofs fuse fuse.sshfs fusectl gfs gfs2 hugetlbfs inotifyfs iso9660 jffs2 lustre mqueue ncpfs nfs nfs4 nfsd pipefs proc ramfs rootfs rpc_pipefs securityfs selinuxfs sfs sockfs sysfs tmpfs ubifs udf usbfs"
PRUNENAMES = ".git .hg .svn"
PRUNEPATHS = "/afs /media /mnt /net /sfs /tmp /udev /var/cache/ccache /var/lib/yum/yumdb /var/spool/cups /var/spool/squid /var/tmp"

Note that /run is file system type tmpfs which appears in PRUNEFS