How to start qalculate-kde and/or kruler minimized to tray

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 28 18:07:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 15:37 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 28.11.2012 15:31, schrieb Jonathan Ryshpan:

> >> kstart --iconify qalculate-kde
> >> kstart --iconify kruler
> >
> > After all this time I finally tried taking Rex D.'s advice.  I found
> >      1. It's a VERY bad idea to run kstart without using either the
> >         --window or --windowclass option.  Strange things happen.
> >      2. Qalculate-kde no longer goes into the system tray, because
> > 	 "Close to system tray" is no longer active in
> > 	  Qalc->Edit->Configure Qalculate!
>
> ksystraycmd whatever application
>
> or install "alltray", start it and klick to whatever
> window of a running application

I obviously haven't been making myself clear.  Both kruler and Qalc-kde
start with icons representing them in the tray.  But I want them to
start with ONLY icons representing them in the tray, i.e. without them
appearing on the desktop (at least till someone clicks on the tray
icon.)

I would think that
	$ ksystraycmd --hidden --window 'Qalc*' qalculate-kde
should do the job, but it doesn't; when invoked, the qalculate-kde
window appears on the desktop.

Thanks - jon