No subject

Thu Nov 22 16:31:42 UTC 2012

very large applications is pretty snappy.

--e89a8fb1ebb63aca6804d15fa889

ri, Dec 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Eddie G. O&#39;Connor Jr. wrote:<br><blockquot=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex">

 =20
   =20
 =20
r SSD&#39;s and they&#39;re LIMITED? I
    thought they were supposed to be BETTER than the spinning drives of
    today? Exaclty how are they better if they come &quot;out-of-the-box&qu=
ot;
imited number of writes. This number is pretty high, though. And with cachi=
ng and load-balancing built into the drive&#39;s firmware, it is typically =
not a major concern.<br>
ting to them is considerably slower. Think of the difference between readin=
g a big file from a flash thumb drive versus writing a big file. That doesn=
&#39;t mean that you should never write to them, but if the intended use in=
volves writing very frequently (like /var or /tmp) then it might not be a g=
ood fit.<br>
 SSD is much more expensive, byte-for-byte, than a hard drive. If you want =
a lot storage (my /home partition is well over a terabyte) then SSD is pret=
ty cost prohibitive.<br>
SSD and, because of the fast read performance, my computer boots, after the=
 BIOS screen, in four seconds. From the login screen to my desktop is anoth=
er 2-3 seconds. Starting even very large applications is pretty snappy.<br>

--e89a8fb1ebb63aca6804d15fa889--