A note on youtube-dl

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:07:52 UTC 2012

On Monday, 1. October 2012. 8.12.11 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 10:04 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > On 30/09/12 11:22, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > > Just a small note... I just tried and found out that the youtube-dl
> > > doesn't
> > > work anymore. Reading the youtube-dl FAQ page, it says that YouTube has
> > > changed the protocol again (since September 2012) and that we should
> > > update
> > > the script to the latest version.
> >
> > Never had a problem with:
> > http://www.downloadhelper.net/
>
> This is a Firefox add-on. The OP didn't say he was using Firefox (or any
> other browser). At least keepvid.com appears to be browser-neutral,
> though it does use Javascript.

In my case, the main disadvantage of the browser-related downloaders (as
opposed to a command line utility) is that I have a hard time scripting them.
If I am given 100 YouTube links to download locally, am I supposed to
copy/paste the addresses one by one into those
plugins/websites/javascripts/whatever? Really, the simplest way is to create a
bash script:

#! /bin/bash
youtube-dl -t <url1>
youtube-dl -t <url2>
youtube-dl -t <url3>

and let it run. That's my main reason for using youtube-dl. Then again, my
usecase is not very common... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko