A note on youtube-dl

Sergio sergiocmailbox-userlist at yahoo.com.br
Mon Oct 1 19:30:54 UTC 2012

--- Em seg, 1/10/12, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> escreveu:

> De: Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net>
> Assunto: Re: A note on youtube-dl
> Para: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Data: Segunda-feira, 1 de Outubro de 2012, 19:55
> On 10/1/2012 2:12 PM, Joe Zeff
> wrote:
> > On 10/01/2012 02:26 PM, Doug wrote:
> >> I went to the link to download the downloadhelper,
> but I couldn't find a
> >> download
> >> button anywhere, and I don't want some fink
> software messing with my
> >> registry
> >> or trying to sell me something I don't want or
> need.  Where can I go to
> >> just
> >> download the downloadhelper AND NOTHING ELSE?
> >
> > You do understand, don't you, that this mailing list is
> for Fedora Linux and the registry is a Windows-specific
> issue?
> OK, sorry about that--I'd like the program to work in both
> Linux and Windows, and I happened  to be in XP
> at that point..  The program claims to work in both
> Windows and Linux.  I'll try that download trick again
> in
> Linux and see if it works.  I would have thought that
> Firefox worked the same in both systems.
>
> --doug

It's just an add-on so if you have the latest Firefox it works just as well whatever the OS.
If you're having issues installing it on XP (through the add-ons tab) then it can be something with the OS or some other extension interfering.

I don't use Windows but something I can recommend for both XP and Linux, in case you don't use already, is 'adblock plus' (another extension; just search for adblock on the add-ons tab). These never ending loading pages are more often than not due to ads or tracking sites and adblock plus just makes browsing much easier.