att-uverse new, can't access internet

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:01:39 UTC 2012

Tim,
thanks much for your reply.
I am still much in the dark re DNS servers
More on that below

>If you're running different computers and/or OSs on a network that
>between changes.  If you have a router between you and them, then that
>shouldn't be a problem.  The router would be what they see, all the
>time, and what you connect behind it isn't any of their affair.
I think there is a router, inside the uverse-modem.

>> --enter a 10digit key found on back of new modem

>If that 10 digit key is something looking like this,
>"00:1A:92:D8:F2:79"

NO, it is just a set of numbers w some spaces, no ":"
I don't think this early thing re wless att had me do on the imac
is playing any role any more.
As I said later the imac is now running w wired internet access,
 "Airport" wless no longer being used,
seems to have no DNS problems.

--

Amen.
What I had  just before the attuverse:

2 more things connected but not used for several yrs:
a laptop,  also i think plugged into that router.
some type of wless access point plugged into that router.

What we have now since the att uverse install
--above adslmodem, router,laptop, access point disconnected.
--new uverse modem, tech said it had a router in it,
  with its own fwall.
  I can't see any off/on switch on that uverse modem.
 Would it be worth trying to unplug, and plug back in the black power cable?

  There is also a uverse WAP, used only to get the uverse tv signals
  to our two tvs.  As far as I know this has nothing to do with our computers.

  f16box, imac both ethernet connected to that uverse modem.

  3 new pieces of some type of electronic gear now under my desk
  also connected to the uverse modem.
  The uverse install tech did not explain their use to me,
  or even point them out to me.
 Evidently necessary electronics parts needed for the uverse setup.
  I only noticed them after the tech left.

The imac has been working  with the new uverse, with
working internet wired connection, no DNS problems.
imac no longer using the Airport wless
which we used only for 1-2 days.

--------------
DNS
bash-3.2$ dig pacbell.net @64.94.156.1

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> pacbell.net @64.94.156.1
;; global options: +cmd
bash-3.2$

bash-3.2$ dig pacbell.net @206.13.31.12

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> pacbell.net @206.13.31.12
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pacbell.net.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pacbell.net.            7200    IN      A       151.164.129.3

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; SERVER: 206.13.31.12#53(206.13.31.12)
;; WHEN: Tue Oct  2 12:29:17 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45

bash-3.2$

bash-3.2$ dig pacbell.net @8.8.8.8

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> pacbell.net @8.8.8.8
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pacbell.net.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pacbell.net.            5561    IN      A       151.164.129.3

;; Query time: 47 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Tue Oct  2 12:33:41 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45

bash-3.2$

what does this tell me?
that 64.94.156.1 is no good, or stale, or???

that 206.13.31.12  is good? valid nameserver?

that 151.164.129.3 is good? valid nameserver?

if 206.13.31.12 is a good namesever, since it is already in my f16
/etc/resolv.conf
shouldn't I have internet access?

do I have to do something like restart NetworkManager?
NM has always just been a silent thing, not to be messed with.
If it is worth trying how would I do this?
I am not at all up on systemd.
I haven't had cause to use chkconfig for years, no need.

Again, thanks for help

Jack