Why graphics drivers are proprietary

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 00:05:38 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 04:18 PM, Alan Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> So final users would have had the best hardware running the best drivers
>> (open source too).
>> This is something which must not be permitted to happen. :-/
>
> Not if it helps to sell the competitor's hardware.

Programmers, and corporations for that matter, have the right to decide
how they choose to distribute their property.  Corporations are people
too, that is to say they are people banded together for a common
purpose, and they have to eat too.

Some choose to release their software in open format and then make their
money from support services.  That model doesn't work well for hardware
manufacturers.  People get pissed off if their hardware doesn't work.
It's hard to download a new video card if you get my drift.  Software
can be readily patched and re-installed with little cost aside from the
patching.  Can't do that with a $BIG price high end video card.

--
     _
    °v°