Need help

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed Oct 3 02:58:39 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 07:30 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 10/02/2012 07:15 PM, Lawrence Graves wrote:
>> I need some help in trying to get to the source of this problem.
>
> What problem?  They filter ICMP requests, so traceroute doesn't work.
> That's not really a problem.

Actually, traceroute uses UDP probe packets by default and more and more
hosts filter them out.  I have a workaround for that:

traceroute -I risingstarmbc.com

This uses ICMP Echo packets instead, which are more likely to get
through.  However, you either need to be root for that, or SUID on /bin
/traceroute, which is what I did because I'm the only person using this
machine; I'd not do it on a production box just on general principles.
In fact, I have an alias for it in .bashrc:

alias tracert=traceroute -I

which works fine.  (On a production box, I'd put the alias in root's
.bashrc and use su -c to invoke it.)