Why graphics drivers are proprietary

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 3 13:11:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 02:55 -0700, jdow wrote:
> Why does FOSS critically lag with regards to what the general public
> wants?

Does it really?  Whether it's open source projects, or proprietary
business, *you* get given what *they* think is the way to do it.

> Why isn't the desktop experience in Linux NEAR as rich and good as on
> Macs or Windows machines?

Again, I question whether that's really the case.

Yes, from time to time, you will notice that one is better than the
other, sometimes quite significantly.  But there's been plenty of cases
where I've felt the Linux was has been quicker, more logical, less
annoying, more flexible.

Just to be more clear, what I consider the desktop experience is how the
actual desktop interface works, the system GUI.  i.e. can I right-click
it, can I add features to the right click, can I change the look or the
behaviour, can I copy and paste any text that appears anywhere on the
screen, can I resize every single window that pops up, does the
interface get in the way, etc.

I do not refer to the range of *extra* programs that you can run on your
computer (e.g. someone's idea that Microsoft Office is better than
OpenOffice.org).  They're not *the* desktop.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.