Why graphics drivers are proprietary

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Oct 4 11:27:51 UTC 2012

> If I were to write a book, or paint a picture, or create a poster, or,
> by any other creative means, produce some product from my efforts it is
> my right to decide how, when, or if, I choose to distribute, transfer,
> or share said product.

Actually it's not. Even in the US. If you paint a picture I can make fair
use of it, use it for some news purposes, parody it. If you make music
and publish it I can obtain a license and you cannot stop me.

You cannot choose to only sell your book to black people, you cannot
choose to do a vast array of things with it including controlling resale.

> legally, from any other product I produce.  If I create a drawing that
> drawing is my property

The paper is your property, the paint is your property, the abstract
drawing that sits on it is not property and the moment someone
photographs it the distinction becomes immediately obvious.

Alan