Screen stopped blanking

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Thu Oct 4 13:03:04 UTC 2012

I'm having a similar problem but with one monitor on a dual monitor
workstation:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-August/423737.html

> I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.

I also use the nouveau driver but with KDE on F17

> Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode.

Mine never blanked in F17 but blanking worked in previous fedora
releases. Do you know _how_ recently it stopped blanking?

  I've
> modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail.

Same here.

  If I switch to a
> virtual console, blanking works fine.

Hmm, I get the same behavior in a virtual console as I do in X, that is
on monitor suspended one remains on. Maybe our problems are different.

> Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> working again?

What happens when you do :

xset dpms force off

When I do it my monitors appear to shut down but then one turns back on.