Remote Amarok music collection?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 22:08:35 UTC 2012

On Thursday, 4. October 2012. 16.38.09 Martin Airs wrote:
> On Thursday 04 Oct 2012 16:55:00 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > So I have a very trivial problem: my music collection is now on a http
> > server. How do I get Amarok to make a collection database out of that,
> > short of downloading all that to a local disk? The very point of
> > having all the files on a http server is that I *don't* want to have
> > them on a local disk. So I want Amarok to create a database of the
> > files present on the server, from which I can later create playlists.
> > The music would stay on the server, and Amarok would read the files
> > over http and play them one by one.
>
> Have a look at Ampache (http://ampache.org)

Yes, I have looked at both ampache and icecast (suggested by Mark Haney), and
some other streaming servers.

But the streaming server seems to be an overkill for my purposes. All I want
is to put a "http://www.server.com/somefile.mp3" into the Amarok collection
(local database, remote files), so that I can play it.

A streaming server would require some work in installation/setup on the
server, which I am not willing to do. I would prefer the client-only solution,
if there is one, since I expect it to be much simpler (both conceptually and
in practice).

Thanks for the thoughts, though! :-)

Best, :-)
Marko