Remote Amarok music collection?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:33:07 UTC 2012

On Friday, 5. October 2012. 1.08.30 Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 05.10.2012 00:08, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> > But the streaming server seems to be an overkill for my purposes. All I
> > want is to put a "http://www.server.com/somefile.mp3" into the Amarok
> > collection (local database, remote files), so that I can play it.
>
> pure http is wrong for this, amarok works with a filesystem
> so mount the remotefs which is transparent for the application
>
> * http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount.davfs
> * fuse.sshfs
> * curlftpfs

Yes, that's one of the options I began contemplating, since I see that Amarok
always asks for a location of the music somewhere inside /. I'll look into it,
thanks!

I just want to be sure that there is no simpler way, before I go on to mount a
remote filesystem. Also, will a remote filesystem give me trouble in the
situations where I don't have an Internet connection? Will Amarok be able to
cope with occasional (but regular) loss of the mount point?

On a side note, why do you say that pure http is wrong for this? From where
I'm sitting, I see absolutely no reason to make a distinction between local
music and remote music. It looks like an unneeded limitation of Amarok (or
short-sightedness of its devs?) to require music to reside on a filesystem.
Everything is becoming remote and "clouded" these days. :-) I would prefer the
functionality of having a music collection which contains local files, remote
http files, youtube links, .iso images of audio CD's, etc... Somehow I naively
expected that Amarok already has this functionality... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko