Need help

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 5 08:08:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 08:25 -0700, Jack Craig wrote:
> Oh, and one more point, if you dont have telnet, many dont anymore,
> find & download netcat, it'll work just fine.

It's only the telnet client that you'd use to test services, that's a
simple installation.  It's the telnet server that's a very bad idea (*)
to have on a system.

* There's no encryption over a telnet link, so logon credentials can be
seen by anybody snooping the network.  To use a telnet server, you log
into it, so username and password are going to be sent unencrypted.  But
a telnet client can be used to test various servers that you don't log
into, so it's safe to use as long as you think about what you send.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.