att-uverse new, can't access internet

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Fri Oct 5 22:13:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 14:48 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Are you implying that if I do get uverse working, that
> I won't need the netgear access point at all?, i.e.,
> that the uverse modem will handle laptop when wanting to use it wireless?

Yes.

> Re your parents' uverse:  are they running linux?

Yes, and no. Some devices are Linux based, Android tablet, cell phones,
and a Windows laptop.

> Are you running linux under uverse?

My laptop works great both wired and wireless at their house when I
visit.

> Do you know of specific cases where uverse and linux work successfully?
> The att phone reps are very pessimistic, going so far as saying:
> "it may be that uverse and linux are simply incompatible."

Which is them trying to get you off the phone and close the case. Linux
and uVerse are just fine....

Slightly in their defense, do they support Fedora or RHEL, OpenSuse or
SLES, Ubuntu, Debian, or the myriad of other distributions. At least
with Windows and Mac, they do honestly hit a *huge* percentage desktops.
That's not to say that we shouldn't keep pushing them to support Linux.

--Rob