Startup applications

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 16:50:05 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 10:54 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday, 7. October 2012. 15.17.02 Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> How can I stop Skype starting up at login on my Fedora-17/KDE laptop?
>>
>> It is not listed in ~/.config/autostart/
>> or in ~/.kde/Autostart/ or even ~/.kde/share/autostart/ .
>> (In fact all these are empty.)
>
> KDE is trying to be session-aware as much as possible, and every program that
> was running at the logout time will be reactivated on the next login (that's
> the idea, at least). That's how "sessions" work and that's why skype gets
> restarted --- because you didn't explicitly shut it down before login.
>
> To prevent it from restarting, go to systemsettings ->  startup and shutdown ->
> session management, find the field called "applications to be excluded from
> sessions", and put skype in there.
>
> Haven't tried it (I happen to want skype to start on login), but it should
> work. ;-)
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

I don't use KDE but Gnome used to have System/Preferences/Startup
Applications

The Option tab on the Startup Applications Preferences dialog box had a
checkbox [Automatically remember running applications when logging out].

If you put a check in that box then whatever was running at log out
would automatically restart on log in.

There was also a button [Remember Currently Running Application] that
you would use after you got your desktop set up the way you wanted it to
look at log in.

It's probably not the best idea to check the [Automatically remember
running applications when logging out] box.  If you have an application
that crashes your session it could get restarted automatically the next
time you log in potentially crashing it again.  Could get messy. ;-)

Like I said, I don't use KDE, but I'll bet there is something similar
there.  This has been a standard part of most Unix desktops for the last
20 years or more.

--
     _
    °v°