Screen stopped blanking

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Oct 7 17:09:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 22:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.
>
> Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode.  I've
> modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail.  If I switch to a
> virtual console, blanking works fine.  It's possible that the change
> occurred with a kernel update or an X update, but the nouveau driver
> hasn't been updated since June.
>
> Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> working again?
>
> TIA.

I created a new user and tried logging in with that id, and the screen
blanks as expected.  So the problem is some configuration setting in my
regular userid.  But I have no idea what that setting might be.  It
doesn't seem to be anything accessible through GNOME settings or
gconf-editor.

Any suggestion about where to look would be appreciated.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences