iptables fubared?

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:46:01 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 01:27 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/07/2012 10:04 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> .I HATE help-desk.
>
> I spent over seven years doing tech support for an ISP.  I stuck with
> it because I found out that I enjoyed the problem solving (and was
> better at it than at least 90% of my cow-orkers.) and liked the idea
> that at least 15 to 20 people's days were better because they spoke to
> me.  Lots of job satisfaction if you look at it the right way.  To
> each their own.
I agree......this goes along with him not liking administration. I would
feel honoured to be the guy who's in the background....not really
"known"....but reliable as heck.....getting things done behind the
scenes.....and while being the "voice" of the tech support might be a
good fit for some.....I'd rather be the "hands in the dark" that do
thing without the users knowledge. I prefer working in an admin
capacity, only because there's an impetus to be daring, and to be able
to test things before they go into production.....I don't know.....maybe
it's just that because of the "abuse" I've suffered at the hands of
those relentless users who feel that because you're on the other end of
the phone.....that they can treat you like trash and not have to pay for
it......I mean I realize that sometimes it's just frustration brought on
because of them not being able to "do" something.....but I mean
really......why yell and scream at the one person who's trying
everything in their power to make your life easier?...it almost doesn't
make sense to me......if you were about to go under the knife with a
surgeon....would you threaten him with statements about his job is on
the line?...and you'll take this to his superior if he screws up?...I
seriously doubt it! And I'm not ignorant of the fact that there's still
some form of interaction between network / system admins and other
people.....but generally speaking....a VP of accounting will not
approach the net admin person....the;ll more likely go looking for the
person whom they ALWAYS approach with their technical problems....which
is more likely to be a Tech Support Team Lead.....the "face" of the IT
dept......ok I think I've ranted on long enough, I'm sure you all get
the picture...LoL!

EGO II