Screen stopped blanking [SOLVED]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Oct 7 18:21:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 13:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 22:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> > nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.
> >
> > Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode.  I've
> > modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail.  If I switch to a
> > virtual console, blanking works fine.  It's possible that the change
> > occurred with a kernel update or an X update, but the nouveau driver
> > hasn't been updated since June.
> >
> > Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> > working again?
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> I created a new user and tried logging in with that id, and the screen
> blanks as expected.  So the problem is some configuration setting in my
> regular userid.  But I have no idea what that setting might be.  It
> doesn't seem to be anything accessible through GNOME settings or
> gconf-editor.
>
> Any suggestion about where to look would be appreciated.

I had installed the GNOME shell weather extension and set the temp and
conditions to display in the task bar.  The app doesn't work, apparently
(nothing is displayed), but having the display option set prevents the
screen from blanking.

It's an annoyance that several of the extensions (including some that
worked in F16) don't work in F17.  Weather, hot right corner,
presentation mode are ones that I'd like to have that aren't working.
The latter two worked before.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences