Fedora fails to boot with systemd-journald failing

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 21:15:04 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 05:07 PM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> Not really a good idea, but most particularly not keeping boot
>>> separate.  Nothing wrong with the other stuff being on one partition,
>>> you just need to make the change carefully.
> Daniel Landau:
>> There's no reason why you couldn't keep everything on one partition.
>> One possible reason could be having an ext2 boot partition and
>> something more exciting for the rest, but I don't think my problem is
>> with booting off ext4.
> Everything but boot can easily be in one partition, but there's one very
> good reason that boot *may* *need* to be in its own partition at the
> start of the drive:  Some BIOSes just can't read far enough into a drive
> to start booting up.  And what may seem to work, at first, may fail
> later on, as newer files (needed to boot the system) get written further
> into the drive.  Such as when you install new kernels.
>
> So, it (no boot partition) could well be a cause of a failure to boot,
> though I'm not sure what sort of error message you'll see when that is
> the problem.  I'd expect some sort of file not found error, though.
>
> I like partitioning the installation, so that should a drive error
> happen, or the system does a check when it thinks there may be one, it's
> a lot quicker to check a small partition than one huge one.  Not to
> mention that a file screw-up in a non-home partition is far less likely
> to screw up personal files.  And having a separate home partition makes
> updating a lot easier:  You can update a system, and keep personal files
> in place.  My current preference for a minimally partitioned system is
> boot, /, and home.  If I were doing more partitions, or spreading across
> drive, I like separate var and tmp.
>
> Other people see other advantages to partitioning:  Such as different
> file systems, or mounting options, for different partitions, more
> optimum to that part of the system.
>
> I have, in the past, moved partitions like you've done.  Copied the
> files to the new location, unmounted the old partition.  Generally it
> worked without any dramas, other than remembering to set permissions
> correctly on the tmp directory.  Sometimes a relabelling may be needed,
> depending on how you copied/moved things over.  But you'd need to be
> able to boot up, first, for that.  Again, you'd get a different kind of
> error message than you mentioned.
>
> Moving boot requires more than just copying files, and changing
> pointers.  There are bootloaders in the partitions.
>
> How did you do the copying?  With a file manager, the command line, done
> as the root user?

Am I to assume that the installer WON'T do that for you? I've noticed
there's a 524MB "partition" on my 160GB hard drive, that just says
"Filesystem Partition 2 Ext4"......might this be where my root, home and
bootloading files are? I certainly don't remember creating this
partition...so where'd it come from? Just curious....as I do a backup of
everything on this drive to prevent something like this from happening
to me!....

EGO II